Tuesday, October 12, 2010

#6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgJhVgK0tPI

Embedding disabled by request GOD DAMN...

To summarize: it's that scene from Land Before Time where Littlefoot's mom died. Oh wait, spoiler alert (not really, it happens really early in the movie if you childhood deprived people didn't see this film). This scene is the Bambi's mom scene of my childhood. Bambi didn't really do much for me as a kid (now it horrifies me). I knew she was dead, but the significance of the scene didn't really hit me (it probably doesn't help that the next scene is of happy birds singing and kissing). Of course, Land Before Time pretty much takes the death and stretches it all through out the film. We see how the mom died, what she said before she died, Littlefoot confusing his shadow for his mom, star leaves, more, and more, and more PAIN.

Going back to color, it's all dark colors (some of the darkness might be from the video quality), and everything, including the characters, are tinted this dark blue or purple-blue color. The only source of light is from lightning, which is an archetype to sadness, evilness, scaryness, and revelation. It's a scene that uses everything to describe just how sad and depressing this scene is, and it works so well (at least, to me). The darkness is a pivotal point in his life, as the next scenes are bright with colors, and I believe there really isn't that much obscurity until the very end. I think it's an interesting use of colors and lighting in an entire film. Though, I'm going to have to watch it again to make sure (and then cry ;_;).

No comments: