Monday, October 11, 2010

#5



I have a lot of Disney on my list. I have a lot of animated stuff in my collection. It was what was most influential in my life. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996) is a gorgeous film, and it really put a lot of dark themes in the movie that one doesn't really notice until later in life. I mean, you know that Frollo is evil and creepy, but you never really fully comprehend just how twisted he is as a character. Of course, the film itself is no where near depressing as the original novel it was based on. However, I feel that the movie still did a lot of right, and this scene is one of them.

What makes this musical scene so particularly interesting, to me, is the use of colors. Specifically, blue and red. The two colors have multiple meanings to them in this scene. Blue is used as a somber, gentle color for Heaven's Light. On the other end with Hellfire, blue is used as a dark and despairing color. Quasimodo, the protagonist, has red hair (glaringly red hair), though the color is more neutral in the scene. In Hellfire, red (and also other warm colors) is used to signify sin and judgment--it is vibrant and striking. It's interesting how the colors can be changed and manipulated to convey moods, meanings, all that. They're basically the same color, but they have so many different meanings to them. It's fascinating.

No comments: